Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Why Would You Do That?

That's the response I got when I held the door open for someone at the Post Office and let her go ahead of us. She literally stopped and looked at me, like I was something she'd never seen before, and asked, "Why would you do that?"

I was so taken aback by her perplexed gaze that I spit out, "why not?" Do people really not do nice things for each other? She characterized me as "very kind."

Really? Or are other people just not aware of the people around them? I don't think of myself as "very kind." I try to be nice, to do what I would appreciate...but that's nothing abnormal.

Or is it?

Do people stay in their little bubbles and not notice the people around them. We were the only people in the post office of like 15 people talking casually. She was very nice and seemed to really like us. That quick. We made a friend just by opening the door for her.

So, what do you think? Do people just not expect others to be kind to them? To show them a bit of decent courtesy?

I'd also like to say how it makes me a sad to hear "Happy Holidays" as a wishful goodbye versus a "Merry Christmas." Christmas is here! Shouldn't we be serving each other as we think of our Savior Jesus Christ? For every one that we serve, we are serving Him. For every one that we love, we are Loving Him. For every one that we share the Christmas spirit with, we are sharing Him with them. That's what I think. I reference my sister's blog post. We need to put Jesus at the forefront of our Holiday Celebrations. Our CHRISTMAS celebrations. Celebrate HIM.

and open a door for someone. :-D

9 comments:

Justin Ferrell said...

You have no idea how much I agree with the whole "Happy Holidays" thing. When I went to the office "Hanakwanamas" party I thought I might tear out my hair in frustration.

Amber said...

My goodness! People are so crazy! How is the office, by the way?

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

How very sad! Might it be the place you are living...?

Justin said...

Tamara, it's completely possible. Completely.

Amber said...

that was me by the way. not Justin.

Tab said...

That's so sad, but it's neat to see that it's competely true that even the tiniest things can make people have a better day and feel good. Aren't you glad you opened a door! :)

Amber said...

haha, Tabitha, yes I am!

austinmcraig said...

A lot of people are just jaded. But not the Andersons. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Meagan said...

Merry Christmas Andersons!