I just wanted to inform everybody that we have proudly planted our first garden together. :-) It's a fairly small one (I told Justin I didn't want to have to weed more). They are raised beds---so as not to leave too big a mark on the yard that has to sell--- and one is 4' x 8 ' and the other is 4' x 4'. In the smaller box we planted corn, green beans, and zucchini. It's an old Iriquois Indian trick. It's called the Three Sisters Garden.
Basically, you plant your corn and beans together, so that the beans (they have to be pole beans) will climb the corn, adding nitrogen to the entire plot; then the squash (we're using zucchini) covers the ground and acts as a natural small animal deterrent (because of the prickly leaves). We're not actually sure how well it'll work, but we're excited to work on it and see what happens!
We also planted peas, swiss chard, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, normal tomatoes (and we did these in one of those hanging planters....Topsy Turvy), green bell peppers, then we've got some rainbow sweet peppers that have to start indoors...I think that's it! Once (positive thinking) we have some green in the planters, I'll take some pictures so you can see. :-)
Wish us luck...!
By the way, anybody ever tried a homemade insect repellent for your garden? It's like soap and water, basically, but it's supposed to keep pests away while being safe to eat.
Do you have any experiences or suggestions for gardening?
4 comments:
Did you plant seeds or starter plants in your garden? I am way jealous. I spent 3 hours shoveling and preparing garden space last weekend (while Jon was in UT) while my lovely neighbor (85 Italian man, love him to death but..) kept telling me it wasn't going to work and I should stop working like a jack#$% and just take care of the kids. I opposed him for 3 hours while shoveling, he finally threw up his hands and went and handed me his metal rack to borrow. what a good neighbor! I better prove him wrong and grow something in that spot of ground or I am going to have some major pride issues! Let ya know how it goes in the long run!
Good luck with your garden!
We planted a SMALLER garden a few weeks ago... just some rosemary and basil for cooking, a sad-looking tomato plant (we should have gone with the topsy-turvy) and some beets and carrots in seed form that we don't have faith will actually grow. They are in 2 2x1' boxes... I don't think we have room for all of that. Good for you for planting and all of that. I have never heard of that planting technique... maybe when we have yard we can try that. Hope you are doing well :)
Justin, your wife has taken over the blog. Have you seen the doilies? Time for a counter attack.
Also I'm in London. Cheers!
Stasha, where were you guys this past week? I hope your garden grows too! After all that hard work you'd hope you'd get something from it!
Elise: haha, I love the idea of an herb garden, but that'll have to be another year. Our tomato plants are pretty sad looking too, but we'll see how they grow. We just had a good rain, and I'm going to be diligent and water them every day like they should be...miss you!
Dan: I informed Justin of your opinion (lol). He's so busy with school, DAT, and work, I'm the only one that gets to update the blog anyway. Have fun in London!
Post a Comment