So, who's been caught in the web? Anyone? If not, go get yourself caught. :)
This series is part of the Masterpiece collection on PBS. It is set in turn of the century (do I have to specify now? 19th century) England. It dramatizes the complex interaction between the aristocratic class and their servants. It's very much a chic-flick, but I have to tell you,
I. Am. Loving. It!
I am a sucker for WWII movies, or as Justin puts it, "Turn-of-the-century British Soap Operas." Just to clarify (thanks, Cambria for pointing out how silly I made myself sound), I know Downton Abbey is not WWII, it's WWI. But those are some time periods I really like: turn-of-the-century and WWII. :) I think one reason I love them so much is the dialogue, the complex language expressed and understood by the population as a whole. I feel that as a society we have lost some of the beauty, precision, and eloquence in our speech that comes from non-television entertainment (and yet, here I am watching t.v., I know). I don't claim to speak this way, and that's why I enjoy watching/listening to it all the more.
A favorite line so far, "Cora, sometimes you can be curiously unfeeling." I just think it's so well put!
Anyway, season 2 is only available on PBS.org for another 5 or so days, and I have 3 episodes left. Whenever I find a show like this that I love, I foolishly stay up really late to watch more. I justify it because I'm working on Mackenzie's Easter dress and I have to get that done soon...so they go hand in hand. So, needless to say, I've been a bit tired.
But, gratefully, Mackenzie has been sleeping very well. She'll wake up in the late evening, but then sleep til morning. I can get used to that!! :)
So, if you ARE caught in the web, what do you think about Lord and Lady Grantham? about Matthew and Mary? Thomas? Daisy?
I am a sucker for WWII movies, or as Justin puts it, "Turn-of-the-century British Soap Operas." Just to clarify (thanks, Cambria for pointing out how silly I made myself sound), I know Downton Abbey is not WWII, it's WWI. But those are some time periods I really like: turn-of-the-century and WWII. :) I think one reason I love them so much is the dialogue, the complex language expressed and understood by the population as a whole. I feel that as a society we have lost some of the beauty, precision, and eloquence in our speech that comes from non-television entertainment (and yet, here I am watching t.v., I know). I don't claim to speak this way, and that's why I enjoy watching/listening to it all the more.
A favorite line so far, "Cora, sometimes you can be curiously unfeeling." I just think it's so well put!
Anyway, season 2 is only available on PBS.org for another 5 or so days, and I have 3 episodes left. Whenever I find a show like this that I love, I foolishly stay up really late to watch more. I justify it because I'm working on Mackenzie's Easter dress and I have to get that done soon...so they go hand in hand. So, needless to say, I've been a bit tired.
But, gratefully, Mackenzie has been sleeping very well. She'll wake up in the late evening, but then sleep til morning. I can get used to that!! :)
So, if you ARE caught in the web, what do you think about Lord and Lady Grantham? about Matthew and Mary? Thomas? Daisy?
4 comments:
Sounds like fun! We've only watched one episode and it was halfway through the second season, so we were totally confused. Ha! Can't wait to see pics of the cute Easter dress!
(p.s. It's actually set during WWI, not WWII, although if they keep making more they may get up to the WWII years.)
Oh, yeah during the second season it would be totally confusing! yeah, I know it's set during WWI; those are just 2 settings that I totally dig: turn of the century and WWII. But I can see that my post is a bit vague on that distinction! :)
So caught in the Downton web! I accidently caught the first episode of season 2, and watched all of season 2 and then watched the first season. Even though i did it backwards - it was great! Can't wait for season 3!
sounds intriguing... I'll check it out after the semester is over. Maybe a good post-packing/unpacking treat? :)
Post a Comment