Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Day Get-away

So last Tuesday we took a day trip up into Vermont so that I could see the leaves turning up there. It's supposed to be the best state in the East to see the colors of Autumn. I was not disappointed!! Even though it was a few days before peak (when the colors are the most brilliant), the country side all around us was breathtaking! The pictures on't quite capture it, but you get an idea.



We also stopped at the Joseph Smith Birthplace. There is such an incredible spirit there! It was so peaceful and comforting. It's incredible how a piece of land with a monument, a visitor's center, and some music can communicate the spirit so well. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. The land even bears testimony! Having our little family there made me so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and so many other truths declared in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, restored by Joseph the Prophet.


Then we visited some factories (Cabot cheese and a cider place), but honestly the best place was the Joseph Smith memorial. Caleb did quite well, really. And thank goodness for GPS! We had planned to see some covered bridges, but by the time we got to that part of our trip, it was quite dark. and Vermont roads are very confusing!! It was an almost-fruitless attempt (we saw 2), but the detour took us far away from the road we needed to get home. And after our experience of how unreliable the Vermont roads are, especially compared to the maps we had, we were so grateful for Lola who got us home safely.



It was nice to have a day with my two wonderful boys, and so lovely to see so much nature! I loved it, but boy were we tired when we got home!! :-) I love my family!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oooooh... I love your last collage! the pic with the tree limb going off horizontally across the page is marvelous!

lola, huh? what do you think of her "annoyed" voice when she has to recalculate?

Justin Ferrell said...

You guys are looking great. I know I wouldn't have made it around Atlanta over the past couple of weeks without Garmin.

Katie and I have been wanting to visit New England for a long time, we'll have to stop in and see you guys when we finally make it up there.