Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Candid Camera

Caleb is a bit camera shy, so it is hard to catch some of his antics on camera. Plus he hates the flash, so most pictures of him show him squinting, flailing, or crying in surprise. The picture to the left is a wonderful example. Note the screaming baby who was awoken from his slumber by a series of bright flashes. Examine the picture closely and you will notice that his pacifier is flying through the air, partially blocking his face.

Yes, capturing those precious moments is a joy...

In a previous post, I mentioned how I discovered that Caleb likes whistling... or at least I assume that he does because whenever I whistle, it makes him smile. It turns out that capturing this on camera has proved very difficult. If we try to take a picture, the result resembles the aforementioned image. Taking video of him does not seem to work because he fixates on the camera and looses all interest in anything else.

This morning I had a breakthrough. Using a candid camera technique (ie. holding the camera to the side), I was finally able to capture the ever elusive smile. Grandmas, this one is for you.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

that was a perfect smile! Good job workin the camera!

have you tried turning off the flash? it works best if they're not moving quickly, but I love the way natural light makes colors and skin tones more beautiful.

My favorite is the flying binkie...

Amber said...

it's a good idea...but the flying binky pic was taken when it was dark because Caleb was sleeping. It was back in Utah. Yeah, I love the laugh, though!

Angela Allen Paulsen said...

What to go! Somehow they always know when the camera is near. I love his smile!