A friend from back home recently had to call 9-1-1 because her daughter gashed her head on the coffee table. I read her post and laughed because she said she called her mom before she called the paramedics. I would probably do the same thing. I call my mom for almost all my questions, and a deep gash would definitely merit "questions."
So I was talking to Justin about this event and I confessed that I am afraid to call 9-1-1. Maybe anxious is a better word, but I am definitely that. I just don't want to call for something that I could've handled at home, or something that doesn't actually pass as an "emergency." I'm nervous about people asking themselves, "Wow, how incompetent can you get? She called 9-1-1 for that?" I"m nervous about having done such an unnecessary call and then having to pay the bill for it...
I realize, in an emergency, I would probably call and not think twice about it (I hope), but contemplating it makes me so nervous. An irrational fear.
What irrational fears do you have? Can you relate to my fear at all? Anyone ever called 9-1-1?
2 comments:
Reasons to call 911:
Any loss of conciousness (gash on coffee table+passed out kid), chest pain and shortness of breath(heart attack), one sided numbness/loss of muscle function (stroke), asthma attack that is so bad that kid/adult is turning blue, choking (resulting in loss of consciosness, and MAYBE arterial bleeding (if blood is squirting EVERYWHERE). If you live within 15 minutes of a hospital or instacare, all other things you can take your loved one to the hospital yourself. You don't want the $1500 ambulance ride for a deep cut...
Hope this helps :)
Ah! I'm so glad you posted this: I need to print out the comment above, because yes, I've always wondered and played the phone-call thru my head, how I'm sorry if this isn't what I'm supposed to call for, but is this massive bleeding an emergency?? :) I'm right there with you Amber. That and not wanting to wake people up at night by calling for help--it's what got me through most of my labor at home, fear overrode pain until pain won out.
Post a Comment