Thursday, January 27, 2011

So ya want some snow, do ya?

Since I've known Justin I've heard stories about these "fabulous New England winters." Ya know, so much snow that you can't open your door and you have to climb out through a window just to shovel? It was nigh unto famous in my mind.

So, naturally, when we moved out here, one thing I thought for sure I'd get to see was some great snow. Piles of it. I mean, I grew up with snow, and we got snow in Utah, but nothing I was used to compared with the impression I got from the stories I heard Justin tell. Well, let's just say, last year was a "mild winter" and this year, I was so excited about a little dusting that I bundled Caleb up and went out to "experience" the snow.



His favorite part was eating it. He loved being able to look up and see the snow coming down, too.

Then, what do ya know, here in January we've had two big snow storms, and something about Mass...snow here doesn't melt. I told Justin that back home, a "big" snow storm meant school closings, being stuck inside with hot chocolate, movies, and playing outside. Here, it means shoveling and work. No fun. No wonder people get so tired of snow.

Well, after last night's storm, I decided to document the difference. I would lose Caleb in these drifts if he could burrow his way into them! The big picture on the bottom is from the snow plow collections, and the bottom right is the walk up to the front door.



Needless to say, I've experienced my "real New England winter." :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

woohoo! Looks like fun! (but only cuz you don't have to scrape the car, shovel the sidewalk and driveway, and risk the treacherous roads to get to school or work... I feel sorry for Justin and your in-laws. Did Caleb have fun? Or did he think it was too cold and just want to go back inside?

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

oh my heavens! you finally got it! more snow than anyone could ever need! awesome awesome pictures. you could quite easily build a snow fort there!

Angela Allen Paulsen said...

Oh wow! you ain't a kidding! how awesome. And I love love love his smile in the first set of pics!